My husband sorted out one of his dress shirts, and after having turned a large portion into a dress for my daughter, I had some remnants laying around that begged to get a new lease on life as well. Becoming a cat toy was probably not on top of their list, but cat toy they became…
Our cats go crazy for catnip (what cat doesn’t?), so coming up with a toy that holds a little bit of the kitty-mood-altering goodness seemed to be a no-brainer. A mouse, though not very original I admit, was yet another no-brainer and an easy pattern to come up with.
I began by cutting out two mouse “side”-pieces (pretty much eyeballed a pattern for that one) and then cut out a “belly”-piece with a circumference equal to the length of the two “side”-pieces together. In addition, I cut half of a “belly”-piece, which would later become the pocket to hold the catnip. I lined up the straight piece of the half-belly with a shirt seam so that I wouldn’t have to worry about finishing that edge. The tail was cut from another shirt seam. Finally, I cut out 4 ear shapes by layering 4 small pieces of fabric and then just went to town with my scissors.
Next, I sewed two ear pieces wrong sides together and then turned them right-side out to create one ear.
I then “pinched” both ears together and sandwiched them, upside down and with the front of the ears facing the front of the mouse body, between the two “side”-pieces (the right side of the “side”-pieces facing inside towards the ears.
At this point, I also sandwiched the tail between the “side”-pieces and carefully pinned everything together.
Now it was time to sew the back of the mouse together, leaving the bottom open.
The next step was a little tricky. I layered the half “belly”-piece on top of the big “belly”-piece and with the half piece facing the inside of the mouse (which contained the ears and the tail and would soon become the outside… oh no, I am confusing myself, but I hope the pictures explain it), I sewed all the way around, leaving a small opening near the tail.
I turned the mouse right-side out, stuffed it with poly fill, hand stitched the opening in the back and added the face with yarn.
I was contemplating using a couple of shirt buttons for the eyes, but I didn’t wan’t anything on the mouse that could come loose and potentially choke my kitties.
After I filled the back of the mouse with catnip (notice the teeth marks in the catnip bag; it’s obviously kitty approved), I presented the toy to my test audience.
The verdict: it’s the cat’s meow!