Our new home is the first home we ever lived in that had two living areas: One right off the entrance, and one attached to the kitchen area. I have never been a fan of two living rooms because I would rather see the square footage be put to a better use in a separate additional room or in a more spacious layout in general. And let’s face it: why do you need two living rooms? Our “problem” was that we didn’t exactly have the furniture to fill the second room. We had an older Ikea entertainment center that we bought 10 years ago and an extra recliner, but that was it and, since we move so often, I did not like the idea of purchasing another couch. I had to come up with some additional, functional seating for what was supposed to become a comfy “hangout” area to enjoy a cup of coffee in the mornings, read, play board games, and watch TV. At the same time, we decided to use the space under our son’s bed as storage, which previously was home to an extra twin mattress that now stood upright in our upstairs hallway without a real purpose in life. So, I added empty space plus extra mattress and came up with, tah-dah: the chaise!
I had all the material except the sofa legs, which set me back about $40 from Amazon, which is still a bargain compared to what a new couch would have cost us.
– Twin mattress
– Plywood board (cut to the size of the mattress)
– Enough upholstery fabric to wrap around the mattress (you can find some great options in the bargain bin of your local fabric store)
– Staple gun
– 4 Sofa Legs
– Power drill
– Jig saw
– If needed, something to stabilize the center (I used two bricks – see below)
Please, forgive me for the bad picture quality in my next few posts. Many time I forget to take pictures and my iphone is generally handy. I figured bad images are better than none, but I promise to dig out my nice camera soon to document my projects.
The corners of the plywood needed to be rounded off to avoid injury. I used a lid to draw the shape, and my jig saw to cut along the lines.
Lay out your fabric flat on the ground, top side facing down. Center the mattress on the fabric, and then the plywood on top of the mattress.
I finally got to use my nifty new compressor and staple gun (courtesy of my husband last Christmas) to attach the fabric to the plywood. My mattress is quite thick and I had to sit on the edge of it to make the fabric reach all the way around the sides.
I decided to wrap the fabric around the corners instead of sewing a slip cover because: a. it was less work and, more importantly, b. I like the fabric and when we move, I might not need a chaise anymore, but would like to reuse the fabric in another project.
I am never ashamed to use duct tape in my DIY projects. That’s what it’s there for, and if it holds down the edges of my fabric so you can’t see them when the chaise is upright, then so be it.
Next, I used the leg attachments to trace templates in all four corners of the underside of the chaise. I actually measured equal distance all the way around to make sure the legs are all in the same positions.
I then predrilled the holes with my power drill and ended up drilling a little bit into the mattress to accommodate screw of the sofa legs (seriously, who cares, since it’s the bottom of the mattress and it shall never be seen). Then simply screw in the sofa legs, have your 12 year old help you flip your creation over…
… and voila!
Aesthetically, it turned our really nicely, but unfortunately, the center of the mattress was not very stable. Luckily, I had some paving bricks outside and two on top of each other were the perfect height. I painted them brown to camouflage them, added some felt furniture pads to the bottom so they wouldn’t scratch up my floor, and stuck them under the center of the chaise. I might actually splurge and order another set of legs, but not until some of the other projects are done…